5 TIPS FOR SELLING YOUR HOME
5 tips for selling your home
Selling your home can be a monumental task and for many very overwhelming. No matter which type of market you are selling in (buyer’s market vs. a seller’s market), the process is typically stressful and a lot of work. However, with a bit of planning and the right team, it’s possible to decrease your stress level and increase your profit margin. Here are some tips that will help you plan for your sale:
- Hire a good agent –Partnering with the right agent for you might be the single most important decision you make. An agent who is realistic and forthcoming when it comes to preparation, pricing, negotiations, and overall strategy is worth their weight in gold. You will be working closely with them every step of the way, so find an agent who really understands your market, has a proven track record of getting results and can provide vetted resources for assisting with get your home ready for sale.
- Understand your goals (and share them with your agent!) – Are you being relocated and need to start work out of the area soon? Have you already identified your dream home and need to act quickly so it doesn’t sell to another buyer? Or, are you wanting to maximize the outcome from your sale and take your time to find your next home? Each scenario comes with different motivating circumstances and will likely require a different strategy for preparation, pricing, and marketing.
- Don’t be afraid to hear the truth – It is recommended to go into this process with an open mind. Having an agent who will shoot straight with you is critical but how you receive that feedback is equally important. If you are inflexible, that can make the process harder and perhaps even longer than required.
- Create a plan – Getting your home prepared to sell is key and investing in the overall presentation will go a long way in attracting buyers. Having an understanding of who your buyer likely is will drive many of these choices but consider having your home cleaned, paint touched up & staged. If you have pets, be sure to have the carpets cleaned and air ducts cleaned out as well. Freshen up the landscaping for good curb appeal and be sure to address any obvious disrepair. The more “Turn Key” your home appears, the more valuable it will be to prospective buyers.
- Be realistic about pricing –Avoid making an emotional decision about pricing. Closely evaluate recent sales, active listings and the pros/cons of your home as it compares. Think about what will attract attention from buyers and help you sell within the timeframe you are aiming for. Your agent plays a key role in that process and the first 30 days your home is listed will generate the best activity so it’s important that he/she understands the market you are selling in and can help you set the right price from the start. It is said that the first 30 days of your home being on the market is when you will see the best.
With more than 30 years combined experience and 500+ closed transactions, our team has the experiential capital and personnel bandwidth to ensure your next home purchase and/or sale is a success by providing you with a pointed menu of services and expertise that drives results. If you are looking to sell your home or wondering what your home is worth in today’s market, call us for a free home consultation with one of our experts.